Monday, July 14, 2014

A MISSIONARY LIFE IN PAPUA NEW GUINEA

My PNG Adventure: Scattering the Seed in the LAND of the UNEXPECTED

It was a great joy last week to be introduced to the St. Brendan’s community as initiated by Fr. Theo. In my short address, I invited you to look on an overview of my life’s timeline. Let’s check on those years in 1991-1997 in Papua New Guinea…

As a young missionary then (barely 2 years ordained), I braved the many threats coming from people’s comments and even true experiences that going to Papua New Guinea is a ‘risky job’. It is noted as the “Land of the Unexpected”, people were known for practicing cannibalism, there was the possibility of contracting malaria or typhoid fever, and also many incidents wherein even priests were stopped by rascals (highway robbers) on the road and left half-naked.

In my six years of missionary life, I had a chance to scatter the “seeds of faith” in certain areas in Papua New Guinea. I worked one year each in Madang, Bogia, Manam Island and the last three years at Divine Word University of Madang where most members of my congregation reside.

My first three years were thrilling and full of adventure. I was appointed by the Archbishop of the place to climb the highest mountain in PNG which was Mt. Wilhelm. And so, it was then “back-pack” time for me! In this place, people would see a priest TWICE a year only! So, after hours and hours of walking and climbing, it was time to stop at a village to say Mass with just five families attending. But I did not mind the number, for it is the “reaching out” to them that mattered.

I was trying to avoid contracting malaria, but a popular comment of missionaries was, “if you don’t contract malaria, you are not a true missionary”. I finally got it too in the end. Being introduced in this new culture meant “changing clothes” for me, like learning a new language (Pidgin), eating exotic food that the people eat like processed crocodile steak, turtle meat and others. Although during my time in PNG, cannibalism was not anymore practiced (until 1958 I was told), we could still hear incidents where this was secretly being practiced.

My last three years was more of “indoor” pastoral involvement -  meaning ‘safe’ university work where I taught young students aspiring to become the new generation of PNG professionals. A few incidents of teen suicide were reported occasionally, since young people would get frustrated when they could not reach what they aspired for.

The word of God has still to be sown continuously into the hearts of the people and the building of the Kingdom of God goes on. As the sower sows the seed of God’s Word, its growth depends on the condition of its destination. We pray to God for more grace that nothing may stop us to plant it into the hearts of people.
Fr. Ted Magpayo