Tuesday, July 1, 2014


Fare thee well – After mass last Sunday, someone asked me how I really felt about my assignment to St. Anne.  And I shared with her that I felt sad about leaving this community where it’s been my home for the past 5 years.  As I’ve gotten to know you and have shared my life with you and you with me, a bond has been built.  As I’ve worked with the different members of the staff and parish, and have worked towards building a stronger parish community, trust and friendships were forged.  And as I prayed for you, worried about sick members of your family and celebrated the sacraments in sorrowful as well as in joyful moments of your life, a spiritual bond was also developed.  So leaving feels like the breaking of these various bonds we’ve built over the years.  And although St. Anne isn’t far, however, our relationship will change.  I won’t be here every day as your priest.  But in God’s wisdom and providence, He has a plan for each one of us.  Mine is to go where He is sending me.  And in his providence, He is sending you a wonderful and kind man, Fr. Ted Magpayo.  Give him the support and encouragement he needs.

I recall beginning my assignment here among you, and even though I believed God was the one who sent me, however, I was still nervous.  But getting to know you, experiencing your kindness, love and support, quickly put me at ease.  And over time, you have taught me how to become a pastor.  When I asked Fr. Roger Gustafson what he was feeling after his recent ordination as a priest on June 7, 2014, his response was, he felt like an imposter.  Because we need to grow into the role, whether it is being a new parent, a new doctor or a new police officer, the formal ending of training is just the beginning of what it means to assume our new role.  The new Pastor training offered by the Archdiocese (through your support of the Archbishop’s Annual Appeal) certainly was helpful, as was my mentor, but it was working among you, the staff and the different committees, that helped me learn my role to become a pastor.  In parting, I want to thank you for the opportunity to serve as your Pastor.  You have made me a better man, a better priest and I learned from you what it means to be a Pastor.  May God bless you in your journey of faith and until we see again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Fr. Dan