Wednesday, January 9, 2013


From the Pastor

Resolutions? – Are you still making New Year’s resolutions.  If you were, and pondered what sorts of goals to set forth in this new year, I’d like to share a few quotes from one of my favorite inspirational writers. 

William Arthur Ward (1921-1994) is a scholar, author, editor, pastor and teacher.  He is one of America’s most quoted writers of inspirational maxims.  He has written the following that, I think, will be helpful as we set our sights for this year.

 “Flatter me, and I may not believe you.  Criticize me, and I may not like you.  Ignore me, and I may not forgive you.  Encourage me, and I will not forget you.  Love me and I may be forced to love you.”

 “Do more than belong: participate.  Do more than care: help.  Do more than believe: practice. 

 Do more than be fair: be kind.  Do more than forgive: forget.  Do more than dream: work.”

 
And lastly,

 
“Another fresh new year is here…  another year to live!  To banish worry, doubt, and fear, to love and laugh and give!  This bright new year is given me to live each day with zest… to daily grow and try to be my highest and my best!  I have the opportunity once more to right some wrongs, to pray for peace, to plant a tree, and sing more joyful songs!”
 
I think if we adopted even the simplest of the hints he’s given us, something doable, it will help us become better persons and lead us to a better year. 

Walk and Pray for Peace – Last year in San Francisco there were over 60 homicides.  As part of our work with Juvenile Hall and the Archdiocese’s Restorative Justice Ministry, Fr. Mike and I have gone to the places where victims were killed and prayed for them and their loved ones.  This Saturday, January 12, 2013 there will be a walk for peace.  With the victims’ families, neighbors, people of different faiths, we will carry a cross for each of the victims.  We want to make a statement to the shooters and gangs to stop the killing. 

Each life is valuable.  Amanda Rodriguez, the wife of a 36-year-old homicide victim, Angelo Rodriguez (d. Nov 26, 2012) shared, “I have already forgiven the person that killed my husband.  Now he has to deal with God and I will take care of my 3 children without my husband.”  She also said she and her 3 children will walk with us and she will carry her husband’s cross.  If you are free to join us, we will gather on Jan 12, 2013 at 10am at St. Anthony’s Church (3215 Cesar Chavez St.) and walk towards Mission Dolores Church (16th & Dolores Sts), stopping along the way where some of the victims have fallen. 

We will conclude with a Mass at noon at Mission Dolores.  Bishop William Justice will also be joining us.

 
Walk for Life – Save the date.  Walk for Life West Coast will be on Saturday, January 26, 2012.  Mass at the Cathedral will be at 9:30am celebrated by Archbishop Cordileone.  The rally will be at Civic Center @ 12:30pm.  The walk will begin @ 1:30pm and will be along Market Street to Justine Herman Plaza in the Embarcadero.

 
Fr. Dan