Wednesday, January 9, 2013


From the Pastor

 Ever since Thanksgiving, I’ve been trying to focus on something that I’m grateful for each day.  That’s because according to an interview on National Public Radio (NPR), a researcher shared that if we spent as little as 45 seconds a day thinking of something we’re genuinely grateful for, that in the course of  2 weeks it changes our brain patterns and has a positive impact that lasts 2-3 months.  Other researchers have shown a correlation between gratitude and happiness.  And since I’ve been more mindful of the people and events that I am grateful for each day, I do concur with their findings.  I find I can easily zone in on problems or what needs attention and miss all the blessings.  Apparently, according to research, that seems to be a natural human tendency.  Focusing on gratitude then, changes that tendency. 

In this Holy Season, for some, it will be easy to count their blessings as they gather with family and friends, exchange gifts, the latest news and good food.  Others, may find it more difficult, as the absence of a loved one at this time will bring back memories and serve to deepen the absence they feel for their loved one.  As a teen, I used to enjoy the TV series, M*A*S*H.  One episode stuck with me through all these years.  In that episode, the doctor, Cpt. B.J. Hunnicutt, was complaining about missing his wife and kids while deployed in Korea.  The head nurse who was single, Maj. Margaret Houlihan, told him to stop feeling sorry for himself because they were all in the same boat.  His response to her was (slightly paraphrased), but you have no one to miss, since you don’t have your own family.  She responded saying (paraphrased), did you ever consider that your loss is greater than ours because you have more than us.

That idea stayed with me.  Anytime I feel a great loss, it is because I was greatly blessed. I’m certainly not saying to those who mourn or grieve the loss of a loved one, that they should stop their crying and count how richly blessed they were.  I too lost an older sister when I was younger.  But as time passes and our wounds are not as raw, we can come to appreciate how our loved ones have blessed us.  We have become better persons because they have been a part of our lives.  And it is precisely into the darkness of our lives, that our God came among us.  He came to teach us “God loves you… do not be afraid… I will never leave you orphans...   & I have prepared a place for you in my Father’s house.”

We have much to be grateful.  I am grateful that God called me to serve Him as a priest, as your pastor, and I am grateful for all the support and encouragement you have given me over the past 3 ½ years.  Because of your love and support, I feel like I am among all peoples, most richly blessed.  On behalf of my brother priests (Fr. Mike and Fr. Te), my sisters (Sr. Catherine, Sr. Herminia and Sr. Sharon), and the parish staff (Flora, Michele, Veronica & Orfa), we wish you all a Merry

Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

 
Fr. Dan