Monday, November 7, 2011

Reflections of Our Parochial Vicar

Reminisces and Reflections:

I recall attending the Fr. Peyton Rally of over 550,000 Catholics in Golden Gate Park’s Speedway Meadows in 1961 when I was attending Most Holy Redeemer parish in San Francisco.  The anniversary of this  event was recently celebrated again in San Francisco. I remember the event in 1961 as the most people I ever thought I could see in one place.  Fr. Peyton’s voice blared that “The family that prays together stays together!” on the echoing  sound system. The crowd cheered and was delighted. It was truly a spiritual moment, that lifted the spirit of all in attendance as we reflected that we were loved by God and called to do the same with our brothers and sisters on earth.  I had quite the imagination as I witnessed history before me.  In little more than one year, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated and the nation came together in prayer as it tried to deal with its grief in 1962. I recall the same reaction when the World Trade Center was attacked on 9/11/2011. Out of our shared grief and a realized helplessness, we turned to ask God for help and guidance. Why do we only turn to God in need?

The only times I have heard of crowds bigger than the group who assembled in San Francisco in 1961, were all of the World Youth Days , started under Pope John Paul II, Pope John Paul II’s funeral and Princess Diana’s funeral.  All of these large gatherings have a common theme – prayer.  Unfortunately these days we sometimes do not feel the need for relationship with God until something happens in our lives that makes us feel truly helpless. Then and regrettably for some, only then do some of us turn to God.  We live in an age where the advances of our science allows great feats - in medicine, telecommunications, information systems, food agri-businesses, and even military capabilities, etc. that were not even dreamed of 52 years ago.  Unfortunately we have sometimes forgotten that our relationship with God is the one life line that only we can sever by inattention to our relationship.  As we go forward, let us all redouble our efforts to keep our relationship with God more prominent in our lives.

I have enjoyed every minute at St. Brendan’s, and I’ve been truly impressed by the faith community here. But, if I had to confess a perceived failing, it would be that despite our best efforts, I believe some individuals do not value this precious relationship with God as
they should. I do not believe they see themselves as part of the larger human family, as part of the same group of committed Catholics who once so impressed a 9 year old boy, named Mike Quinn, in 1961. I urge all of us to take an assessment of our relationship with God. 

If there is room for improvement, there is still time!  It is my greatest wish for all of the fine people of this parish.


Fr. Mike