Monday, December 23, 2013

Relections of Our Parochial Vicar

This Sunday, the fourth in the season of Advent , heightens the feeling of expectancy and brings us nearer to the symmetrical point which is the anniversary of the birth of Jesus Christ. On August 9th , 2008 barely two months after my priestly ordination I turned 30 years old.

This anniversary was marked by the celebration of a thanksgiving mass and reception and a lot of my friends gave me very many material gifts which I appreciated. But the most important and most striking of the gifts I got was the heart of a woman who was 90 years old. She said to me, “Fr. Theo, I may not have the material gift to offer you but I will offer you the gift of constant prayers from my heart. My son, it shall be well with you all the days of your priesthood”.

For me this woman opened her heart to me and gave me the gift of her heart. Today I have used all the material gifts and probably forgotten about them but I still hold this woman very special in my heart.

Christmas is a season of peace and love characterized by exchange of gifts and so often we give gifts to our loved ones except the one whose birth we celebrate. For this year’s Christmas, take some moments in silence and find out what gift is fitting for Jesus.

The Shepherds in the bush hurried to the stable in Bethlehem and there they did him homage, offering up their wills to him as they prostrated before the king of peace. The Maggi, the wise men from the east, opened their treasure and offered him Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh.  Can we offer him more of our time and talents through the Christian community and its activities? Can we visit him in the poor and needy, the sick and infirmed, in response to His teaching when he said “Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers and sisters you do unto me.”

As the Pope Francis effect continues to bring the church back to light, can we join him and celebrate the Joy of the good news in our world as the angels sang “Joy to the world the Lord has come, let earth receive her king, let every heart prepare him room”? So, what gifts are we ready to give?

As we prepare him room, we hope you can join us at our Christmas vigil mass on Tuesday, December, 24th at 5pm. This mass will be presided over by Msgr. John Talesfore. Or you can come on Wednesday December 25th at the 7:00am, 8:00am, 9:30am, or 11:30am mass.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas, a happy holiday, and praying for all our parishioners who will travel during the yuletide, that the almighty God will grant them total protection and safety as they travel and also bring them back safely to us.

May the peace of the new born prince of peace be with you all.

Fr. Theo Hwande