Monday, September 30, 2013


Welcome Fr. Theophilus! – It was funny when someone commented that they didn’t believe that Fr. Theo existed, as I spoke of him so often and at the time, he had still not arrived.  But thanks be to God, he arrived Monday at 1pm after a 25 hour flight.  He arrives just in time, as I am on a pilgrimage to Medjugorje from Thursday, September 26 – Saturday, October 5.  There are 13 pilgrims leaving from San Francisco, and we will meet the other 27 pilgrims from throughout the U.S. in Washington D.C.  From there, we will go to Medjugorje.  I will remember you and your intentions there and will share with you the messages from Our Lady, who continues to make her appearance there, when I return.  Pray for me and Fr. Theo, and I will see you on Sunday, October 6.

Peace,
Fr. Dan

A Message from Fr. Theo – It is a delight for me to join the beautiful community of St. Brendan’s parish here in San Francisco.  My yes to this missionary enterprise is a
reinforcement of my response to God, when He called me to the priestly vocation.  Born in 1978 to Mr. Boniface Hwande (RIP) and Mrs. Eunice Hwande, I had my early education in Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic primary school and then went on to Mt. St. Gabriel’s Catholic secondary school.  This solid Catholic background made it easier to discern God’s call.  Despite being an only son, and the favorite of my Mother, I could hear God’s call clearly and distinctly.  The Love urged me to respond in a generous way.  Therefore, I began the formation to Catholic priesthood in the Via Christi Society and had seminary training in St. Thomas Aquinas seminary in Nigeria and Missionary Seminary of St. Paul in Nigeria.  I was ordained a Catholic priest on July 5th 2008.  Since then I have worked in the Archdiocese of Abuja, Nigeria, in different responsibilities until 22nd September when I left for St. Brendan, which is my new home.

For me, like it was for St. Paul, the good news must be preached at all cost.  So I am here to join my brother, Fr. Daniel, to share the good news with you and not just to share it, but to proclaim it also: “the spirit of the Lord has been given to me, for He has anointed me.  He has sent me to bring good news to the poor, to proclaim liberty to captives and to the blind new sight, to set the downtrodden free, to proclaim the Lord’s year of favor” (Luke 4).  May God grant fruitfulness to our ministry among you and may God bless us all as I look forward to having a nice time working with you in the parish.  Let me dedicate this last line in appreciation to Fr. Daniel for helping me to settle in on my arrival and for his guidance during my period of transition.  And to all of you who have prayed for me and gave generously to me, I say thank you.  May God reward you many times over.

Fr. Theo Hwande