Thursday, August 16, 2012

Reflections of Our Parochial Vicar


Choosing the Living Bread That Came
Down from Heaven

   At various periods in my life I have tried to take an assessment of where I have been and where I am going. We all do this exercise, knowingly or unknowingly. We evaluate our choices and we either deem the good choices or poor choices. We do this at every age. As children, we sometimes rebel/rebelled at having to do homework or prepare for tests. Using short-term thinking, we would try to avoid the prescribed effort to learn properly and we would be disappointed at our choice of avoiding quite attainable work when we received grades that were less than we would have desired. This had the effect of us resolving to do better next time and to restore our grades- which would happen if we kept our resolve.

   As young adults, we are suddenly confronted with such freedoms!
   Many of these freedoms we believe we have been entitled to,
   (always watch out for what follows the word “entitled”). I remember
   that when I had a home of my own, I initially looked forward to all
   of the fun times that I would have playing music and spending time
   with friends. Before, my dreams of unbridled revelry could be
   put into effect, I stopped and reflected upon the responsibilities
  of maintaining one’s own home. I had to keep a good job to pay
  for my lifestyle, and  to clean and take care of what I had looked
  forward to having as my own for so long. Not one of my blessings
  was without responsibility. When my brother and I had a boat and
  would venture out to the San Francisco Bay, I realized that I spent
  more time performing maintenance work and earning enough resource
  to pay for the boat and larger maintenance and insurance than I did 
  using the boat. All of my examples so far are ones that though worthy
  by earthly standards are without  significance as enduring in the sight of
  God.

   As an adult, I went through the occasional exercise of evaluating choices. 
   I concluded that though my choices to date haven’t been bad, I was not
   dedicating the proper effort in –in proportion to all of my time, to
   relationship with God.  This one poor choice was fatal to my
   chance of salvation, despite all other choices!  I decided to change
   this situation. We must seek God- not simply pass God by on the 
   street with a casual “Hello”.   So I decided to seek him with
   a greater sense of being called, as we all are.This effort was
   has been rewarded more than any earthly endeavor could
   provide The boat has come and gone, the home living has
   been replaced by rectory living, but the choice of God has
   endured and  sustained me. I share this personal journey of
   faith with you, my parish family, hoping that you will learn
   what took me too long to discover and is this Sunday’s
   Gospel message. In this “Year of Faith” proclaimed by
   Pope Benedict, the purpose is for us to seek Christ and
   right relationship with him.

   We are to seek Christ as the one who gave His life that
   we might have life. Doesn’t that effort deserve more than
   just a passing greeting as we seem preoccupied with earthly
   concerns? It begins with our  definitive choice to follow Christ!!!

   Fr. Mike