Monday, February 13, 2012

News Around the Parish

Congratulations to our 2nd Graders – On Saturday, February 11, our 2nd graders celebrated their First Holy Communion.  For many of them, this has been a long awaited occasion and they now feel like the older kids and adults, able to receive the Lord themselves into their lives.  I remember my First Holy Communion and how my teacher, Sister Pia, made a special card for each of us.  It had a cut out of a gold chalice with a host above it.  On top of the host and chalice were the words, “I offer my all to you, Sacred Heart of Jesus.”  When I received the card, I certainly prayed that with all sincerity (as sincere as a 7 year old can be).  Later on in the Seminary, I learned that in the Church’s Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy states that “the Eucharist is the source and summit of the Christian life” (#11).  When I first read that, I had to pause and think whether that was really true.  I asked myself, wouldn’t a missionary who gave his life in service of the Gospel, would that not be the high point of the Christian life, a person who learned to give himself/herself to the service of the Gospel?  Or what about a martyr, who died for the faith, wouldn’t that also be the high point of a life, who learned to give himself/herself to the Lord? 

But the Church in teaching that the Eucharist, the Lord’s Supper, or the Mass is the source and summit of the Christian life, is saying that it is the “sum and summary of our faith” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, #1322-1327).  It is from the Mass, as we hear God’s word, that we learn how to give ourselves as Jesus gave Himself to the Father.  And it is at the altar, or the Lord’s table, that we learn to offer ourselves as Jesus offered Himself when He broke the bread, to offer it as food for others.  So while Holy Communion can be an intimate experience of welcoming the Lord into our lives, but in having received the Lord, we are also called to imitate Him in serving each other.  It is certainly my hope and prayer for our little ones that they will grow in their love for God and learn to serve Him.  I want to thank Mrs. Nina Warda and Mrs. Sonia Ino for all the time and love they gave to prepare our children for this most special Sacrament.

Training Mentors – A couple of weeks back, St. Patrick’s Seminary put on a five (5)day training for Priests who can serve as mentors to priests who are either newly ordained, new to the country or who serve as new pastors.  Our Auxiliary Bishop, William Justice in charge of Priest Personnel, asked me to attend this first of a two-part training program.  There were 25 priests from different dioceses as close as San Jose to as far as Des Moines, Iowa.  I was impressed to see the quality, experience, wisdom and dedication of these priests.  One of the presenters, Fr. Jim Myers, spoke about the need for mentors because in many dioceses where the priest shortage is severe, newly ordained priests can become pastors in as little as a year or two.  Whereas in the past, a priest might not be expected to be a pastor for 25 years or more, and so can pick up wisdom along the way, the reality today has changed.  So this program, “Mantle of Elijah,” was put in place to help with this transition.  Being a recipient myself of a mentor’s wisdom and experience not too long ago, I hope to give back one day and share with others what has been so generously given to me.  I also want to thank you, who have supported the Archbishop’s Annual Appeal (AAA), for the funding for this program, $1,800 per priest and covers food and lodging, was paid from your generous contribution.

Fr. Dan