Thursday, June 16, 2011

June 19,2011 - Ordination Anniversaries

Ordination Anniversaries

Most priests are ordained in May or June and that was certainly the case for Fr. Arnold Zamora.  On June 7, he celebrated his 25th anniversary of ordination to the priesthood.  The parishioners at Holy Name gave him wonderful celebration.  About 30 priests turned out for his special celebration at 5pm that evening, and he gave a special stole for each concelebrating priest.  The guest homilist was Fr. Dave Pettingill, a dynamic and lively preacher who compared Fr. Zamora’s musical gift like salt that brings out the flavor in food, like
dressing over salad, and like whipped cream over a pie.  He had us all laughing and appreciating the unique gifts God has blessed Fr. Arnold with, and his willingness to use them to the glory of God.  After communion, Fr. Arnold spoke about a song he composed for his anniversary, entitled “Chosen In His Love.”  He said he felt himself chosen to serve in the midst of God’s love.  And he reminds us, that all of us are chosen to be close to the heart of our Lord.  Part of the lyrics of his song is as follows:

Once again, I offer you my life.  Once again, anoint me with your grace.  Unworthy though I may be, and yet, you’ve chosen me.  Here again, I’ve faced each moment new with your light, I walk with trust in you.  Your presence is always there, giving me strength and power.  So here I am I’m standing before you, to give myself, my very best to serve you, and here I am, I stand to thank you, grateful for the gift and honor of being chosen in His love.

Then on Saturday, June 11, Fr. Antonio Petilla celebrated his 76th birthday.  On that occasion, the parishioners of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Daly City threw him a wonderful party honoring also his 50th anniversary of ordination.  Both men felt honored to be called to serve the Lord as priests.  As he will also be retiring on June 30, over 600 people came out to celebrate his birthday, anniversary and retirement.  They remind me of the honor it is to serve the Lord and the gift and privilege it is to serve His people.  I’m grateful to serve you as pastor.  Fr. Mike’s 2nd anniversary of ordination will be on June 20, and Fr. Te’s 25th anniversary will be June 28.  He is in residence here and serves as chaplain to both Laguna Honda Hospital and the Vietnamese community.  Ad multos annos!  (Wishing them Long Life).

Visiting Priest

 Fr. Jerry Van Overbeek will be staying until July 5 while Fr. Mike is away.  Fr. Jerry had been my unofficial mentor when I was a seminarian, doing my internship at St. Anne’s in 1994-1995.  At the time, he was taking a hospital chaplaincy program at UCSF and we struck up a great friendship.  Because we were so much alike and he was a priest, he gave me hope that I too can become one.  Fr. Jerry was born in Chicago, went to an Augustinian High School, and through exemplary priests and brothers there, decided to join them.  Their charism is to live together in harmony, to help our world live in peace with one another.  He was ordained on Feb. 6, 1965.  In his years of ministry, he had taught high school for 21 years, done formation work with seminarians for 15 years, and enjoyed being a chaplain in hospitals.  He said high school and hospital work are his favorite ministries.  Since 1967, he had come out to USF in the summer for courses.  He enjoys San Francisco and our fog here.  At St. Brendan’s, he will have no trouble enjoying the fog.  Welcome, Fr. Jerry!!!  And thanks for helping us out! 

Happy Father’s Day !!!
Fr. Dan